A recently conducted study found out that there may be a link between stress and autoimmune diseases. In the study, researchers concluded that there might be a higher chance of autoimmune diseases such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis among people who were previously diagnosed with stress-related disorders.
What is an Autoimmune Disease?
When the body’s immune system misfires and starts attacking its own tissues, it’s known as autoimmune disease. Rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, and type 1 diabetes, etc. are some of the most commonly known autoimmune diseases.
What is Stress?
The most common way to define stress is an experience that may cause tension, be it is physical or psychological. Stress triggers the ‘fight or flight’ response in someone. This results in the body releasing adrenaline which causes a strong rise in blood pressure, rapid pulse and breathing. The causes of stress differ from person to person. For instance, if someone has stage freight then he/she will face stress as compared to someone who is a natural stage performer.
What Causes Stress?
There are several factors which can trigger stress in people. Some of them include:
· Unhappy professional life
· Too much responsibility at workplace or excessive workload
· Loss of job
· Financial instability
· Chronic injury or illness
· Dealing with a sick family member and taking care of them, be it financially or personally
· Traumatic events such as natural disasters, loss of home or a loved ones
The research was conducted on a large group of people who were diagnosed with stress related disorders and their results were compared with their siblings who were not affected by it even after a year. The results found that:
1. People who were affected with stress related disorder were more likely to be diagnosed with autoimmune diseases as compared to people who were not affected by stress.
2. People with stress related disorder were more susceptible to suffering from multiple autoimmune diseases.
3. Affected people had a higher chance of getting diagnosed with autoimmune disease in their younger years.
While the mystery of autoimmune diseases continues to go on, it is important for people to get a blood test regularly done, especially if they’re suffering from stress in their daily lives. This also gives the doctor sufficient time to effectively treat a patient’s condition.
To make things easier, the best pathlabs are coming up with blood test packages which is making these tests more affordable and convenient for the general public.