You must have heard of the old saying which goes like this - “ Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.” The simple interpretation is that your first meal must be your biggest one. A hearty breakfast helps you to get through the day with high energy levels. As the name suggests, breakfast literally breaks the fasting period of 8-10 hours that the body goes without food or water after dinner.
It is important to nourish the body after this period and there are no two ways about the fact that breakfast is the one meal that should not be missed. Here are seven reasons why you should not skip breakfast.
Beneficial for all-around health-Eating breakfast every day is good for your general health as it balances your sugar levels. It is important to feed the body after 8-10 hours of fasting. Failure to do so leaves the body weak and vulnerable. It can lead to long-term health issues including coronary heart disease due to abnormal sugar levels. Skipping breakfast regularly can lead to weight gain, hypertension, high blood pressure, high triglyceride levels finally leading to heart disease. Having a balanced breakfast reduced the temptation to have a mid-morning snack. This can reduce obesity and decrease the risk of contracting Type 2 diabetes, especially in women. Of course, you need to choose the right stuff to eat for breakfast. Gorging on a cheesy pizza for breakfast will still be a NO.
Sharpens memory-It is a well-researched fact that breakfast has a positive effect on short-term memory. Whether it is children, teenagers or adults, a proper breakfast is known to sharpen memory. That is a good enough reason not to skip breakfast.
Improves energy levels -A breakfast rich in fibre will provide energy that your body needs through the morning. If you skip breakfast you are likely to feel dull and listless with low levels of energy. Recharge your body every morning by having a balanced breakfast. It could be a bowl of cereal and fruit or whole grain bread and eggs or fluffy idlis or upma. Just make sure that you have the first meal of the day to keep your energy levels up.
Mood booster-If you want to banish sleepiness and clear your head in the morning, you need to have your breakfast. Research shows that breakfast can really lift your mood in the morning. Having your breakfast makes you feel less grouchy and irritable.
Consumption of more nutrients -The morning breakfast is the first meal of the day after which your schedule depends on what the day has in store for you. So, it is important to consume a nutritious breakfast that will meet your daily nutrition needs and keep you energized for the rigors of the day. It will compensate for the quick lunch or skipped lunch and the light dinner. A good breakfast will ensure that you consume calcium and fiber which are so vital for your body.
Helps to burn more calories-You may wonder how consuming a meal every day will help you burn calories but it is actually a fact. Those who consume a bowl of cereal and milk for breakfast have smaller meals during the day. This helps to increase the metabolism rate and helps you to burn more calories.
Enhances concentration level -You have already read that breakfast improves energy levels and sharpens short-term memory. Additionally, it also helps to improve concentration levels in students and helps them to build focus. Brain energy is derived from glucose which depletes during sleep and is replenished during breakfast. This is essential to concentrate and pay attention, be it to studies or any other task. Having a healthy breakfast of cereal, eggs, fruit, and yogurt helps to balance blood sugar levels and improve cognitive skills.
Rustling up breakfast is not a very difficult task. It is a matter of minutes to prepare a healthy breakfast that is nutritious, filling, and tasty. This can make all the difference between a dull day and a great day!
What are some ideas for a great wholesome breakfast?
A healthy breakfast needs to provide you with a healthy dose of proteins, fibers and calcium to keep you energetic during the day. You can try out a few of the ideas listed below to eat healthily and stay fit. You do not need to have a boring breakfast routine of the same cereal and milk. You can throw in some of these interesting options to make breakfast a meal to look forward to.
- Upma - Upma is an interesting South Indian breakfast item that packs in energy and nutrients. It is made of semolina and you can add veggies of your choice. Combine it with Sambar, a dish rich in anti-oxidants and you are good to go.
- Poha - Poha, the Maharashtra breakfast made of beaten rice flakes packs in taste with the goodness of proteins, carbs, fibers, and fats. The addition of chilies and peanuts brings in the perfect crunch that suits the Indian palate. What’s more, it keeps you full while not adding weight!
- Paneer Bhurji - Paneer is the go-to source of protein for vegetarians. You can rustle up a yummy paneer bhurji and have it with a Roti or paratha. It will satisfy your hunger and your taste buds at the same time.
- Palak puris - Add spinach to your pooris and you have added a dash of good health. Combine it with potatoes and you have your ideal fiber and carb combo.
- Masala omelet - Eggs are a great source of protein. When you combine onions, tomatoes, capsicum, and mushrooms, they taste super yummy and make a great breakfast idea.
- Thepla - This breakfast choice from Gujarat is a hit with foodies and fitness freaks alike. The combination of wheat flour with fenugreek (methi) leaves, coriander leaves (Dhania), turmeric and salt gives it an excellent taste. You can just combine it with pickle and you are good to go
- Sprouts Salad - You can have a sprouts salad for breakfast along with your eggs and toast. It is a powerhouse of vitamins, fibers, and minerals.
The options mentioned above are healthy and nutritious without compromising on taste. Having a wholesome breakfast is a great start to a day on a positive note. It is a harbinger of a good day for your body when it feels fit and ready to take on the burdens of the day. Skipping breakfast is not a sacrifice. It is a foolhardy attempt to trouble your body and it always comes back to bite if you make it a habit. When you feed your body after fasting during the night, you rejuvenate both your body and soul. It keeps you in a balanced state of mind and lifts your mood and spirits. It helps you to get on with your day happily and fully charged. Do you really need any more reasons to make breakfast the most important meal of your day?