call us Call Us 75000 75111 0


Difference between T3 and T4 Thyroid Hormone

By: Pathkind Labs 23 Jul 2019 2531 Views
T3 and T4 Thyroid Hormone

The human thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland which is located below Adam’s apple on the lower side of the neck in the body. A lot of people either don’t notice the signs or do not link the signs of thyroid to their problems, making the condition worse. 1 out of every 3 women in are usually suffering from a thyroid related issue.

 T3 and T4 are important hormones that are produced by thyroid. The gland uses iodine from the foods to make triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4). T3 denotes the active thyroid hormone whereas the T4 denotes the precursor of the thyroid hormone produced by the thyroid gland. Thus, T3 and T4 are the two forms of thyroid hormone that control metabolism. T3 is known as triiodothyronine while T4 is known as thyroxine.

What is T3?

Triiodothyronine (T3) is the active form of thyroid hormone that can readily go into the cells of the human body. Which means, every cell of the human body has thyroid receptors. In addition to this, out of the T3 hormones produced by the thyroid gland, 80% is in the form of T4, and the rest of the 20% is directly in the form of T3. Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) is the pituitary hormone that stimulates the thyroid gland for the production of T4.

What is T4?

T4 (thyroxine) is the prohormone of T3. Iodothyronine deiodinase is the chemical in charge of the change of T4 into T3. This change predominantly happens inside the live, and at the same time, each cell of the body contains this catalyst too.

The impacts of the thyroid hormones on the body are as follow: 

  1. Expands the cardiovascular yield, pulse, ventilation rate, and basal metabolic rate 
  2. Improves the impacts of catecholamines  
  3. Builds mental health 
  4. Thickens endometrium in females 
  5. Builds catabolism of starches and proteins 

On the opposite side, if the thyroid hormones delivered are inadequate, the body may hinder the digestion, offering to ascend to side effects of hypothyroidism. An abundance of circling free thyroid hormones causes hyperthyroidism.

Difference between T3 (Triiodothyronine) and T4 (Thyroxine)

Definition: T3 refers to a thyroid hormone that influences pretty much every physiological procedure in the body while T4 refers to the principle hormone created by the thyroid organ. 

Generation/Arrangement: Development of a large portion of the T3 hormone is from T4 hormone in the liver while the generation of the T4 hormone is in the thyroid organ. 

Sums Delivered by the Thyroid Organ: The thyroid organ delivers less T3, however it produces more T4. 

Typical Levels in the Blood: Absolute T3 in the blood ought to be 5.0-12 μg/dL, and the free T4 ought to be 80-190 ng/dL while complete T4 in the blood ought to be 1.0-3.0 ng/dL and free T3 ought to be 0.25-0.65 ng/dL. 

Even though T3 is the most active form and has the highest potency, T4 is the most inactive form and is less potent. Both the hormones help in the regulation of metabolism. On the off chance that you have been experiencing thyroid conditions or have experienced it in the past, it’s important you book a blood test and keep your health on track. Just pick up your phone, find a lab near you, and have a Phlebotomist arrive at your doorstep! 

What Causes the Smog During Winters?
By: Pathkind Labs 02 Feb 2021

What is winter smog?

When you think of w...

Read More
Treating Type-2 Diabetes in Coronavirus Patients
By: Pathkind Labs 02 Feb 2021

Since its inception in 2019, the novel coronavirus has become a par...

Read More
Preparing Your Family for Cold and Flu Season: Prevention is...
By: Pathkind Labs 02 Feb 2021

Winter is here! And with it comes the sniffles, the coughs, the col...

Read More
How does sleep cycle affect your health?
By: Pathkind Labs 25 Apr 2021

Are you someone who is

Hereditary Diseases Hereditary Diseases: What and When to Get Tested
By: Pathkind Labs 25 Apr 2021

Hereditary diseases are those that get passed on from one generatio...

Read More
10 Common Summer Ailments and How to prevent them?
By: Pathkind Labs 25 Apr 2021

Summer is here and the rising mercury brings with it a lot of distr...

Read More
Know about monsoon diseases Know About Monsoon Diseases and Ways to Overcome Them
By: Pathkind Labs 27 Jul 2021

It is that time of the year again when the parched land is drenched...

Read More
best environment for sleep What Is the Best Environment for Sleep?
By: Pathkind Labs 27 Jul 2021

What does a human being need at the end of a busy day? All he or sh...

Read More