Important Tests That Our Parents Should Take
By: Pathkind Labs
28 Aug 2019
When we are growing, we forget that our parents are also growing older. They may likely be affected by quite a few health problems. Regular health check-up and diagnosis can help them to battle against diseases proactively. Here, we have mentioned some tests that our parents need to take once they have crossed 40:
- Colonoscopy test- It is a test in which the doctor examines your colon for cancerous polyps. A polyp is an unusual growth of tissue. After the age of 50, you should ask your parents to undergo colonoscopy, especially if you have a family history of colorectal cancer. A digital rectal examination checks the lower part of the rectum and on another hand, colonoscopy scans the entire rectum. Colorectal cancer is treatable if diagnosed at an early stage. However, in many cases, the doctor is not able to identify it unless it has progressed to the advanced stages.
- Eye examination test- The age increases the chances for eye diseases like glaucoma and cataracts and in some cases, it can worsen the vision. Hence, it is important for elders to undergo eye examination tests on a regular basis.
- Stress Test- Today, the stress levels are too high, blame it on inflation, aging disorders, slow economy, etc. Hence, ask your parents to undergo a stress test. The stress test uses ultraviolet light to measure stress levels. Stress is often known as the silent killer because it has a great impact on the heart and mental health. This stress test can help your parents to better manage the stress and it would be incredibly helpful.
- Thyroid test- Thyroid is a gland that regulates the metabolic rate of your body. Sometimes, your thyroid doesn’t produce enough enzymes and this may lead to sluggishness, weight gain, and aches. In men, it may also cause erectile dysfunction. A simple blood test can reveal and determine if your thyroid is working optimally or not.
- Diabetes test- As per the American Diabetes Association, it is necessary to undergo diabetes test after the age of 45 years. This can be done with a fasting blood sugar test or AIC blood test.
- Mental test- though your parents might ignore it and put up a façade for as long as they can. But you should ask them to undergo this test if you witness these subtle signs.
The reasons could be countless, but it is important to ask them to undergo a mental health checkup as these problems is really treatable.
- they are forgetting things too quickly
- they have started talking a lot
- they have started sleeping a lot
- they have started consuming a lot of junk food
- they are not able to sleep properly during the night
- Hallucination, Depression, anxiety
In the end, we would like to conclude, that don’t take your parents for granted, irrespective of their socio-economic background. Ask them to take the above-mentioned tests for a healthy and carefree life.